I've Been Tagged| Books I Hate, Giving Away Books???, and Books I Want To Eat

Y'all, I have the best bloggy frens. They tag me, and they comments the nicest things, and I just really appreciate them (you're probably one of them!!!!)

Olivia at Meanwhile, In Rivendell tagged me for a nameless tag. I can't find the name for it anywhere (I think it's a government conspiracy, though I don't know what they would be trying to accomplish. If you have any ideas, contact me by an untraceable messenger. We can't be too careful), but that won't stop me. Mainly because the tag is very bookish, and it is a truth universally acknowledged that I cannot resist bookish tags.



What book has been on your shelf the longest?
Image result for the pickle song book

The Pickle Song will always hold a special place in my heart as one of the first books to capture my undying love. Clearly, this is a fantastic book. There are only a few things that I remember about it.
  • Arlo Guthrie songs.
  • A strong female friendship that crosses prejudice. 
  • Overcoming fear.
  • Snoring grandmothers.
  • And ART!! There is much art.
What is your current read, your last read, and the book you'll read next?
Current Read: A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab. I AM FINALLY READING THIS. I think I started the second book a year ago and did not understand a word since I had unknowingly come in partway through (which I do not recommend. It's kind of like trying to ride a wheelless bicycle: pointless and frustrating for everyone involved)


I agree. Also I'm pretty sure that "rain" is actually all the tears I cried when trying to understand the sequel. 
Last Read: Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. This was a lowkey impulse read. I have so many other books that are overdue, but of course I can't just be responsible, and I have to abandon all hope of returning things on time. Such is my curse. 

Next Read: Wildwood by Colin Meloy. There's something you should know about me: I NEVER buy books that I haven't read. I have to know that I like it enough to reread it before I spend my precious coins, until a couple months ago when I came across Wildwood. I don't know what drew me to it, but I immediately fell in love with the cover and concept. SO I BOUGHT IT. Then it sat on my shelf. I promise I am going to read it next. I promise (oh be quiet, Jerry. I know I said that before, but I mean it this time)


What book did everyone like, but you hated?
Oh boy. I didn't even have to think about this one (though there are many to choose from)



I have read two books in this whole series (there are so many books!!!), and it was difficult. I kept telling myself it would get better. I do not like the "brooding-lonely-assassin-who-is-also-super-pretty-and-attracts-all-the-guys-despite-her-dangerous-past" character. Maybe I was just being a stubborn hipster who was grumpy because everyone liked it so much, but I also feel like there are some major problems with the series. 

What book do you keep telling yourself you'll read, but you probably won't?

Oh no, Honey, I haven't admitted to myself that I am not going to read every book in the universe. It is still my life plan to consume every bit of literature I can get my claws on. In fact, I'm sure my death will somehow be caused by my own love for books ("Hold up, Mr. Murderer, can you pause for a second? It's getting really good.")

What book are you saving for retirement?


Image result for remembrance of things past

The world said "Longest book ever written" and "1,267,069 words". I said: Challenge accepted.

Last page: read it first, or wait 'til the end?
Excuse me? Who are the monsters that read the last page first? THERE'S A REASON IT IS LAST (if you prefer to read the last page first, please do not be offended. I just like to shout at things). I used to read the very last sentence, but then after acquiring a few nasty spoilers, I stopped doing that (BECAUSE IT WAS RUINING MY LIFE AND CAUSING ME PAIN)

Which book character would you switch places with?
You know, there is a famous saying: "The grass is always greener on the other side." That being said, I would trade places with quite a few characters, such as: Wendy Darling (my love for Peter Pan knows no bounds), Lucy Pevensie (NARNIA WAS MADE FOR ME), and Blue Sargent (I would sell my kidney to chill with the Raven Boys). If someone offered me that chance...well.



That being said, I am very happy with my life right now (even if I can't hang out with the Raven Boys), and I adore my whole family. 

Have you ever given a book away for a special reason to a special person?
Oh boy, the only time I have ever given away a book that I own was a MISTAKE (grandfather, if you are reading this, I apologize). I was a wee lass and had not yet realized the importance of acquiring a hoard of books. It was my grandfather's birthday, and I wanted to give him something so special. So I gave him the only book that I owned: An old copy of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Evangeline (yes! It's my name!!! It was because of that fact that I thought it was so special)

I immediately regretted it (once again, sorry Grandpa), and I was so sad that I had given away the only book I owned. But it's okay, I've overcompensated for it with my current book-acquiring issues.  

Used or brand new?
Is this a trick question? Do you know how poor I am?? (Jerry, if you wrote this question trying to poke fun, you are so fired.)

If I could choose, of course I would choose brand new! But I can't even afford water at a Starbucks. And that's free.

Have you ever seen a movie you liked more than the book?

Pride and Prejudice. To be fair, I haven't read the book, but I am assuming that I will not have the patience for all of the sophisticated language and proper grammar (I have the attention span of a two year old)

Have you ever read a book that's made you hungry, cookbooks included?
Image result for winnie the pooh books

Winnie-the-Pooh is my fav. When I was rereading it, I felt myself chanting along with Winnie-the-Pooh, "I'm so rumbly, in my tumbly." I ate a spoonful of honey, and all was well.


Garfield is my spirit animal. I adore him. I also desperately want to try the "Cake-pie-cake". 

Who is the person whose book advice you'll always take?
Myself. 
I take recommendations from others. I am not picky about recommendations. Odds are I will read the book as long as it doesn't have anything obviously wrong with it and contains words. Words are a must.

Is there a book out of your comfort zone (e.g., outside your usual reading genre) that you ended up loving? 
Image result for red rising

I KNOW! I'm shocked, too. I didn't realize until I finished it just how out of my comfort zone it was. I like sci-fi, but I had never dipped my toe into the grander side of YA. I wasn't accustomed to space operas and grand wars that played out across the skies. ALSO THERE WAS A LOT TO REMEMBER. I am a confused goldfish and therefore have a hard time remembering which characters are important or just random second cousins, like, is that the main character or the lead singer of a Peruvian folk band???



Thanks so much to Olivia for tagging me!
I would tag someone, but I'm pretty sure I've already tagged all the bloggers (and vloggers) I know in my past tags. So I'm going to do that thing where I pretend that I want to be really inclusive with this tag, but in reality, I just don't know a lot of people:
If someone wants to do this, feel free! And be sure to link to your post in the comments!

What is a book that you hate/dislike more than others? Do you have any great book recommendations? Do part with your precious children (I mean books. Just me who calls them "children"?? Cool. cool.) easily? What is your favorite food to consume while you consume words?

Toodlepip

Comments

  1. I kinda dislike The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. :/

    Book recs? Nah, not really right now. Oh, how about Every Falling Star by Sungju Lee? It's about his life in North Korea.

    Consume food with BOOKS? EH? Dirty the pages of such a precious item, how dare youuu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah? I haven't actually read either one (though I feel like I should), and I'm not surprise that they're not that good.

      Ooo, that sounds good.

      I KNOW. I AM A SHAM. I just really like eating...

      Delete
    2. Nvm. I actually have read The Unexpected Everything (I just forgot it was called that), and did enjoy it. XD But I haven't read Fangirl.

      Delete
  2. One time I shared a beloved new book...and it was promptly lost in a moving purge. I'm still a little scarred over it.

    But some time ago I found myself sharing two of the most valuable of my Most Valuable Books. I think it must be my way of expressing trust and fellowship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO! That is my worst nightmare.

      Truly that is the sign of True Friendship. XD

      Delete
  3. I was tagged for this as well (haven't done it yet... Shame, shame, Kate) but I did some digging and it does, in fact, have a name!!! Apparently it's the I Dare You Tag?????? But as Cait pointed out when she did it, there's nothing very DARING about it so... I'm going to call it the Nameless Tag when I do it, in honor of you (with credit, of course). :)

    I also do NOT buy a book unless I have read it/liked it enough to know it will be worth my money... I hope Wildwood is!!!

    Oh. My. Word. That story about giving a book to your grandfather is so. Unbearably. Sweet. Like awwwww!!! That is adorable and you were such a sweet little girl. I think that is a lovely gift and if I were he, I would treasure it always. :D

    Lovely post, Evangeline, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I assumed it had a name somewhere in this universe. I am honored that you would find my title for it worthy of your blog!

      I have finished Wildwood, and I can safely say: IT IS MAGNIFICENT. I adored it, and I am overjoyed that I had enough common sense to buy it. :D

      Haha, I suppose it was sweet and all, but I also really miss that book??? So maybe I'm not as kind as I thought I was. XD

      Aw, you're so sweet. Thanks. :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, of course!!

      Cool! It would be awkward if it stunk...

      I know, right? A lifetime of regret...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. It's lonely here in my little cave. (I need friends)

Popular Posts